maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Converting site documentation to Markdown
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 12:16:26 GMT
Regarding automatic conversion to Markdown:

The main ASF site was converted from xdoc to Markdown. Some tools werr
written for this, but they were not 100% accurate; we were still
finding conversion issues a year or so later. [We've probably not
found them all yet] Whether these conversion issues are important is
another matter, but there are certainly some area such as the license
pages where it is vital that the conversion is accurate -- and
problems were found there.

AFAIR, Markdown still has some areas where it is weak - for example
numeric lists, which was one of the license page issues.

The existing HTML documentation is presumably all in SCM, so it should
be possible to compare the new with the old if necessary.
And if layout etc problems are detected later, the originals should be
available.

Might be worth creating tags for the source and generated HTML just
before and after conversion to make it easier to dig into the history
later.