maven-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 3.1.1
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:09:30 GMT

On Sep 10, 2013, at 12:16 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 September 2013 16:33, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> -1
>>
>> The src.tar.gz and src.zip files have lost their top level NOTICE and LICENSE files.
  This is a regression from 3.1.0 (and 3.0.5).   That definitely needs to be fixed.  I don't
have time today to look into that, but might tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

>> Ran a couple builds with the result of building the source and things look OK.
>>
>> I checked the rest of the contents with the tag and everything looks OK.    There
are three files in the git repo that aren't part of the release (/.gitignore, /.gitattributes,
and /apache-maven/src/bin/.gitattributes), but those files really are specific to our scm
and thus don't need to be in the source release.

> OK, so is it necessary to check the release against the tag?

That's one way, sure.

Personally, I log the trunk/master/branch, find the appropriate commit for "prepare release
maven-3.1.1", check that out, then diff that with the src tar ball as well as diff that with
the tag to make sure all three match up.  Likely not necessary with git where the tag would
apply directly to that commit, but with subversion, it is certainly possible that the three
don't match and the diffs make sure to check that.    If any of the three diffs find differences,
it's an immediate red-flag for further review and likely require a -1 on the vote until resolved.

> Or is that just your personal take on what a reviewer should do?

A reviewer should do whatever they feel is necessary to do a thorough review.

> If it is necessary (for at least one reviewer) to do, then the SCM
> coordinates need to be provided in a transparent manner so any
> reviewer can do it, and the coordinates need to be part of the vote
> e-mail "for the public record".

No, each reviewer should do what they feel is appropriate for them.   If every reviewer did
the exact same thing, we'd get the exact same result from each of them.  Some reviewers may
checkout the tag, others may troll back master, others may do something completely different.

--
Daniel Kulp