maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart McCulloch <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stupid Question about plugin annotations
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:00:04 GMT
IIRC those Java5 annotations are only used by the maven-plugin-plugin to generate META-INF/maven/plugin.xml
and are not used by the core Maven runtime, in which case a retention policy of CLASS is ok:

The main benefit of using them is that if you extend a Maven plugin then the maven-plugin-plugin
can see the Java5 annotations retained in the class file, whereas javadoc annotations are
only in the source.

See http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPLUGIN-56 for the original use-case.