maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 3.1.1
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:20:25 GMT
On 12 September 2013 14:52, Arnaud Héritier <aheritier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10 September 2013 16:33, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > -1
>> >
>> > The src.tar.gz and src.zip files have lost their top level NOTICE and
>> LICENSE files.   This is a regression from 3.1.0 (and 3.0.5).   That
>> definitely needs to be fixed.  I don't have time today to look into that,
>> but might tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.
>>
>> The N&L files should also be present at the top-level of SCM.
>> That is not a release-blocker per se, however if they had been there
>> they would likely also be in the source archives at the top-level,
>> which is a release blocker IMO.
>>

> Like we already say I think we aren't convinced about this because it will
> imply to recopy these files across ~50 projects (plugins, shared libs) and
> thus update them the day we'll decide/need to do it. That's why we always
> prefered to bundle them at build time.

The point is:
the N&L files should be at the top-level of SCM.
That is because SCM URLs are published, so the readers need to know
the what the license conditions are.

The fact that having the N&L files there would likely have ensured
they were in the source archive is an added bonus; it's not the
primary reason for having them at the top-level of SCM.