maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 3.1.1
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2013 21:51:41 GMT
On 21 September 2013 22:28, Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io> wrote:
> You will now be infamous :-)
>
> https://github.com/jvanzyl/sebbalizer
>
> If you don't like the name, happy to change it. I thought it was appropriate and meant
as a compliment for being thorough.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Sorry, but I don't like the association.

> With a given staging URL, groupId, artifact, and version it will retrieve the source
archive, and binary archive and the corresponding SHA1s and validates the SHA1s are right.
It unpacks both the archives, digs into the binary archive to find the maven-core JAR to retrieve
the build.properties which contains the SHA1 of the release revision from which the source
archive was made. A git clone is performed and moved to the release revision. A check is performed
to ensure that each file in the source archive is present in the release revision and that
the SHA1 of the each file in the source archive matches the SHA1 of the file from the corresponding
release revision.

> So for this release using the Sebbalizer I only found the DEPENDENCIES file to not exist
in the release revision, every other file I consider valid and verified. I believe that for
this release no errant files slipped in and it's good.

> People should review the code. I spent an hour on this by yanking a bunch of stuff together
so it might very well have errors. I have one hardcoded url for the Git repository but I'll
pull that out of the POM and then hopefully it can be used generally to validate source archives
for releases.

The general procedure seems fine, but the SCM coordinates still need
to be in the release vote in order to tie everything together for the
release vote, and for the historical record.

Rather than pick out the details from the maven-core jar, the
information should be taken from the release vote e-mail.
That can then be used to ensure that the artifacts match the release
vote, and that the sources match the SCM tag.
The build.properties entry should be checked to ensure it is the same
as the value from the release vote mail.

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-065/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.1.1/apache-maven-3.1.1-bin.tar.gz
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-065/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.1.1/apache-maven-3.1.1-src.zip