maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Leaving Maven Core POMs at major.minor-SNAPSHOT
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2013 19:47:58 GMT
Why as long as you don't push the tag, there's no big deal. Pushing the tag
is when problems appear... In any case I'd prefer to just skip failed
version numbers... Though I was voted down last time that came up, and
given I'm not running too many releases at the moment, I don't see my
opinion as being heavyweight on that subject... Version numbers are cheap
and we've had borked releases before (eg critical IMHO bugs in 2.1.0, 2.2.0
and 3.1.0...) so I don't buy the "what if a user checks out a tag that was
not released" argument.

In my opinion we need a release status page anyway, eg stating whether
specific versions are considered stabilising, stable, retired or advised
not to be used... Such a page would remove the need for recycling version
numbers *and* provide benefit to users at the same time.

But I will leave it for others to fight the relative costs of version
numbers (given the infinite supply) against making sure JIRA release notes
and javadoc @since tags (which is stupid, @since 3.2.3 means it should be
there in the 3.3.0 release that 3.2.3 became, so no fix strictly
required) are correct and saving the risk that a user checks out an
unreleased tag and tries to build that from source and then starts trying
to raise bugs against a non-exist any version!