maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 3.1.1
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2013 22:09:22 GMT

On Sep 21, 2013, at 2:51 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 September 2013 22:28, Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io> wrote:
>> You will now be infamous :-)
>>
>> https://github.com/jvanzyl/sebbalizer
>>
>> If you don't like the name, happy to change it. I thought it was appropriate and
meant as a compliment for being thorough.

> Thanks, but no thanks.
> Sorry, but I don't like the association.

No problem.

https://github.com/jvanzyl/source-release-validator

>> With a given staging URL, groupId, artifact, and version it will retrieve the source
archive, and binary archive and the corresponding SHA1s and validates the SHA1s are right.
It unpacks both the archives, digs into the binary archive to find the maven-core JAR to retrieve
the build.properties which contains the SHA1 of the release revision from which the source
archive was made. A git clone is performed and moved to the release revision. A check is performed
to ensure that each file in the source archive is present in the release revision and that
the SHA1 of the each file in the source archive matches the SHA1 of the file from the corresponding
release revision.

>> So for this release using the Sebbalizer I only found the DEPENDENCIES file to not
exist in the release revision, every other file I consider valid and verified. I believe that
for this release no errant files slipped in and it's good.

>> People should review the code. I spent an hour on this by yanking a bunch of stuff
together so it might very well have errors. I have one hardcoded url for the Git repository
but I'll pull that out of the POM and then hopefully it can be used generally to validate
source archives for releases.

> The general procedure seems fine, but the SCM coordinates still need
> to be in the release vote in order to tie everything together for the
> release vote, and for the historical record.
>
> Rather than pick out the details from the maven-core jar, the
> information should be taken from the release vote e-mail.

No, I think an automated way is better. As part of the release the release revision should
be made available for use in the email.

> That can then be used to ensure that the artifacts match the release
> vote, and that the sources match the SCM tag.
> The build.properties entry should be checked to ensure it is the same
> as the value from the release vote mail.

I want to go in the direction of automation and to generate this as part of the release so
it will contain the revision. Going from a manually generated email is not a good solution.
I can see the need for a secondary reference but I'm going to fully automate it. If I turn
this tool into a Nexus Plugin I can potentially just generate the email.

At any rate, I understand your concern to make sure there are no errant files and I believe
this tool addresses those concerns. I think at this point with this it's not really necessary
to put the release revision in the email template but that's for the PMC to decide. I'll continue
to use the official template but I will also run this tool as part of the core releases.

I'm rolling 3.1.1 again.