maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart McCulloch <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stupid Question about plugin annotations
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:15:01 GMT
Also, wrt. the original question...

I believe when using the old javadoc annotations you had to add an "expression" attribute
to allow a parameter to be overridden from the command-line:

	"NOTE: If neither default-value nor expression are specified, the parameter can only be configured
from the POM."

	From http://maven.apache.org/developers/mojo-api-specification.html

In the Java5 annotations the "expression" attribute was renamed to "property":

	https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPLUGIN-196

So AFAICT the behaviour is the same (though I haven't dug any deeper or tested this hypothesis)
- so I think it's more a matter of improving the docs than changing code.

On 20 Sep 2013, at 20:00, Stuart McCulloch wrote:

> IIRC those Java5 annotations are only used by the maven-plugin-plugin to generate META-INF/maven/plugin.xml
and are not used by the core Maven runtime, in which case a retention policy of CLASS is ok:

> 	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1338003
>
> The main benefit of using them is that if you extend a Maven plugin then the maven-plugin-plugin
can see the Java5 annotations retained in the class file, whereas javadoc annotations are
only in the source.