maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Adding support for new dependency mediation strategy
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:15:18 GMT
Hi Phillip,

Phillip Hellewell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to take a stab at adding support for Maven to be able to mediate
> dependency conflicts using "highest version" strategy rather than "nearest
> definition".
>
> I'll be happy if anyone can point me in the right direction on which
> source
> files I'll need to modify, and any other guidance.  Also, how long do you
> expect such a task would take for a competent developer?
>
> Finally, I'm curious to know what are the chances of a patch being
> accepted
> when I'm done?  I'll of course do it in such a way that the default
> remains "nearest definition", and this new strategy has to be enabled with
> a setting in settings.xml or something.

Can you also tell, why you really want to do this? If you really want
"predictability", then use a shared parent, declare all involved
dependencies there in a dependencyManagement section and declare your direct
dependencies without any version. This way you can specify any version
explicitly.

- Jörg