maven-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding support for new dependency mediation strategy
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:41:42 GMT
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
> IIUC Baptiste point, the question is not about exceptionally forcing to the
> old release when 2 versions are "in conflict", but to choose the newer one of
> the two proposed versions vs using the newest in the repository (= the latest)
> because latest in the repository would give a non-reproducible result

Oh, sorry if I was unclear.  I do not and will not ever recommending
using the newest in the repository.  Like you said, the latest in the
repository would give non-reproducible results, and yeah that is very
not good.  When I say "newest" I mean choose the newest of the two
proposed versions.

> notice my quotes around "conflict" because it's not a conflict but a choice to
> operate between 2 proposed versions (I know internal term used is "conflict",
> but IMHO it's not the good term)

Yeah, at my company we actually use the term "clash", i.e., "version
clash".  I was just using the word "conflict" because I thought that's
what Maven developers called it.  I'm happy to use any other term :)

> IMHO, nearest is the best strategy because it let you decide: it's only an
> automatic strategy for usual cases, and if you're not happy with automatic
> transitive choice, you can configure the dependency in pom which will de facto
> create the nearest

Don't get me wrong.  Nearest is a perfectly fine strategy.  But newest
is a perfectly fine strategy too.  I can see others wanting it besides
me.  BTW, we could also have a "newest_unless_direct" strategy, so a
direct reference from my pom will override.  I think a lot of people
could find that strategy useful.

> I doubt configuration of a strategy per artifact is manageable: IMHO, if you
> want to manage things, dependencyManagement is your friend

Don't get me wrong.  I think you and Jörg are absolutely correct that
using dependencyManagement would probably turn this into a non-issue.
I would probably not need a "nearest" strategy at all because every
update to a new parent pom would get me the newest of all
dependencies.

We are definitely more inclined to using dependencyManagement now than
before, if only to solve this problem; but we'd still prefer to have a
"newest" strategy than to use dependencyManagement.

Phillip