maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: What is the correct Git SCM URL for a branch?
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:33:39 GMT
Le samedi 24 août 2013 23:08:05 Robert Scholte a écrit :
> I agree that a single SCM line doesn't really match anymore with systems
> like DSCM (git, Mercurial)
> It would have been better if we could think of a better way to define this
> in a newer POM-model.
it was overkill at the time Maven was done, and even today, splitting scm
developerConnection into 3 parts seems overkill for classical SCMs, even if
doable

notice that even with "single SCM line", we can have multiple fields, like we
already have for example with git to distinguish fetch and push urls:
<developerConnection>scm:git:
[fetch=]http://mywebserver.org/path_to_repository[push=]ssh://username@otherserver:8898/~/repopath.git</developerConnection>

in the same spirit, we could support a branch and a path parts
<developerConnection>scm:git:https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven.git[branch=]maven-3.0.x[path=]/maven-core</developerConnection>

with such scm url format, we have the structure we like without POM format
change, and module value inheritance by adding artifact-id to the url stays
simple and consistent

Regards,

Hervé