maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard Sand" <rs...@idfconnect.com>
Subject RE: artifact attached by plugin not appearing in subsequent plugins
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 02:31:16 GMT
Hi Wayne - that seems a very inefficient approach, having 5 or 6 separate modules to manage
to achieve a single assembly. The point is that maven does have phases, goals, lifecycles
- why not use them? The MavenProject object already provides the mechanism for one plugin
to see the attachments from a previous plugin, so again it’s a why-not question.

The way you present the choice of having a single maven module certainly makes it sound distasteful,
but I think dividing the construction of a single atomic component into multiple modules because
the plugins cannot be chained together is more unappealing. Especially when the maven architecture
and API makes it so easy to do.

BTW I haven't touched Ant in at least 6 years, so I doubt I'm an "Ant-oriented person".  :-)

-Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Fay [mailto:waynefay@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 5:59 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: artifact attached by plugin not appearing in subsequent plugins

> Mirko thanks for your reply. I think the plugin API should have *some*
> simple mechanism for transferring a "generated" artifact from one plugin to the next.

One way people on this list implement this is by viewing their various Maven modules as being
a series of transformations which are applied to successive artifacts.

lib, common, etc
depended on by war
depended on by obfuscator
depended on by shader
depended on by assembly
eventually produces an obfuscated, shaded war file in a tar.gz along with the latest compatible
version of Tomcat in an OS-specific package ready for simple deployment.

An Ant-oriented person might put all this in a single Maven module and force the various plugins
to bind to different phases and customize or hard-code the configuration to force this pipeline
just to achieve all of this in a single module build. A Maven-oriented person probably would
not.

Wayne