maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release process updates (try 2)
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:14:13 GMT
On 1 July 2013 07:18, Chris Graham <chrisgwarp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:20 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Reminder: all this thread is just about is adding the following lines
>> to vote e-mails:
>>
>> SVN Tag:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-javadoc-plugin-2.9.1/
>> (r1496317<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-javadoc-plugin-2.9.1/(r1496317>
>> )
>>

> I still find this redundant. Given that the tag will not change for the
> time window of the vote, and that the tag has it's own revision no, and you
> can derive the revision from the tag, so I see no need to quote the
> revision no.

This is a lot of extra work for the reviewer, and very little for the RM.

Also as I have already written, it's vital for the vote e-mail to be
open and provide all the necessary information to review the release
properly.
Otherwise the vote process is not transparent; it's not open to
independent scrutiny.

At the moment, most Maven VOTE e-mails do not even have the tag URL as
standard, let alone the revision.

It is probably not the intention, but the effect is that it is harder
to perform a proper review.
And the lack of the unique reference in the e-mail thread means that
the required information is not recor

> In the event of a failed vote, the version/tag will be reused and it will
> have a new revision, which also will be derivable.
>
> In the event of a successful vote, the tag will remain permanently.

This is not guaranteed by SVN.
(Though IIRC it was true of CVS tags)

> Should anyone ever wish to trawl through the (svn) history, then you will
> still be able to see the intermediate/failed votes and history. And you'd
> also need the archives of this list to address why the vote failed etc.

I was thinking more of a successful vote which was later challenged
because of some source code that was found in the release.