maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spurious file in Apache Maven War plugin 2.4 reelease candidate - broken release process?
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2013 19:53:02 GMT
On 7 July 2013 20:39, Arnaud Héritier <aheritier@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand the issue but for me all that problems will never disappear if
> we don't find a solution to automate the process.

The point is that processes and people are not infallible

> Yes PMCs (and devs) are responsible to do various controls as you mentioned
> but I suppose that we aren't different to others projects and our time
> spent in OSS projects is often limited.

It does not take long to do a comparison - assuming that the tag is
provided in the vote e-mail.

> About the problem of sources content I have two things in mind :
> * The release:perform goal is doing a checkout of the tag and then does the
> build/deploy of released stuffs. The problem is that the assembly which is
> creating the sources archive is doing it after the build instead of doing
> it just after the checkout. How could we change this to be sure that in the
> archive we just have what we just checkouted ?

That would reduce the window of opportunity for errors, but I'm
convinced that Murphy's law can be entirely avoided.

> * We could add a control (enforcer ?) that will compare the content of an
> archive with an scm tag checkout

There is already a Perl tool to compare directory structures:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/tools/releases/compare_dirs.pl

I use that, as well as a GUI compare tool.