maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RAT setup
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:14:28 GMT
On 21 July 2013 19:47, Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Revert my change upping to RAT 0.9
>>
>> Stupid plugin has major regression in performance, but 0.8 needs excludes
>> for git
>>

> Yup, just noticed that as well. After trying to attempt to release my distribution 4
times and the RAT plugin blowing up 4 times. For the record that's just the wrong phase to
check something in. I don't want to wait after all my tests to see a license violation report.
Additionally it's running in the release:perform but not anywhere else which is doubly annoying.
So if falling back to 0.8 fixes all that awesome.

AFAIK, the plugin has always bound to the phase verify by default.

RAT 0.9 added some extra syntax checks which perform very badly when
used on large files without AL headers.
RAT 0.8 is also slow on the same large files, but had fewer analysers,
so the issue was not so noticeable.
So you need to exclude large files that aren't supposed to have
headers, e.g. log files, Javadoc.
Both run much faster when only given input files with valid AL headers.

The performance problem has been fixed for the next release.

> Thanks for rolling that back.
>
>> If I'd had notice I'd have reverted it my self but on a phone so no access
>> to revert it... Once they get a proper usable release we *should* be ok...
>> Though they don't seem to know how to cut releases with Maven... Like wtf
>> is the deal with only -SNAPSHOT docs being public!!!

I agree that's wrong, but Creadur is not the only TLP which
regenerates site documentation from trunk.
Some people argue that it's important to publish the latest docs (even
if they apply to code that is not available - I don't subscribe to
that)

In the case of RAT, I don't think there's much difference - if any -
between 0.9 and 0.9-SNAPSHOT docs.