maven-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:32:46 GMT
On 4 July 2013 11:05, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have asked the legal-discuss list for an opinion on test data sets and
> license headers. From my reading of the current ASF position:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions we do not
> currently have an exception for test data sets.

I undertstand that some test data files cannot have AL headers.

However, surely any exception which might be agreed does not cover
unit test cases in Java files?
Nor the poms needed to run the tests.
There are several such in the source archive.

> Pending the outcome of that discussion I will have to be
>
> -1
>
> If the outcome is that we do not need to do anything for test data sets,
> then I would be happy to switch to +1.
>
> If the outcome is that we need to add some additional text to the NOTICE
> files to cover the test data sets, then we will need to respin as nobody on
> the PMC can vote +1 if we are aware that the release is in violation of the
> ASF policies and we would be neglecting our governance role.
>
> If the outcome is that we need to add the license headers to all the test
> data files, then I think the PMC will have to review what we want to do as
> adding license headers to every file in the test data set runs the risk of
> invalidating the test data and that is an unnecessary risk that would
> cripple the project and as such I would be looking for the ASF to change
> such a decision and provide us with a means of using the NOTICE file to
> cover the test data.
>
> I hate being petty, but unfortunately that is part of the governance role
> that the PMC is tasked with... :-(

I would not classify it as unfortunate.

ASF committership and PMC membership are both privileges, not rights,
and come with certain responsibilities.
In particular to ensure that releases are available under the Apache
License, and don't contain any suprises for the end users.