maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:52:18 GMT
On 4 July 2013 12:32, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 July 2013 11:05, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have asked the legal-discuss list for an opinion on test data sets and
> > license headers. From my reading of the current ASF position:
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions we do not
> > currently have an exception for test data sets.
>
> I undertstand that some test data files cannot have AL headers.
>
> However, surely any exception which might be agreed does not cover
> unit test cases in Java files?
> Nor the poms needed to run the tests.
> There are several such in the source archive.

Are these in src/test/resources/ or in src/it/ because if so they are test
data not software we distribute and build.

Without inspecting each and every test data file and the corresponding test
case (which invokes the test case using e.g. maven verifier or maven
invoker... i.e. files in src/test/java which clearly must have a license
header) we cannot be certain that adding a license header will not affect
the results of the test... yes the vast majority of them can probably have
the header added successfully... but I do not see anyone standing up
willing to undertake that mammoth analysis task.

I would much rather get an exception that lets us release and then turn the
screw and tighten which files need the exception to remain and which can
have the headers added as we progress through multiple releases. That is
the approach which will help the community as us taking what could be
*years* to get the test cases with headers in *every* place where they can
safely be put quite frankly would kill this project.

> > Pending the outcome of that discussion I will have to be
> >
> > -1
> >
> > If the outcome is that we do not need to do anything for test data sets,
> > then I would be happy to switch to +1.
> >
> > If the outcome is that we need to add some additional text to the NOTICE
> > files to cover the test data sets, then we will need to respin as nobody
> on
> > the PMC can vote +1 if we are aware that the release is in violation of
> the
> > ASF policies and we would be neglecting our governance role.
> >
> > If the outcome is that we need to add the license headers to all the test
> > data files, then I think the PMC will have to review what we want to do
> as
> > adding license headers to every file in the test data set runs the risk
> of
> > invalidating the test data and that is an unnecessary risk that would
> > cripple the project and as such I would be looking for the ASF to change
> > such a decision and provide us with a means of using the NOTICE file to
> > cover the test data.
> >
> > I hate being petty, but unfortunately that is part of the governance role
> > that the PMC is tasked with... :-(
>
> I would not classify it as unfortunate.
>
> ASF committership and PMC membership are both privileges, not rights,
> and come with certain responsibilities.
> In particular to ensure that releases are available under the Apache
> License, and don't contain any suprises for the end users.

I started the drive to get the licensing tidied up before you started
putting your attentions here:
https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/bfcf03d42c37bce5bf16a1ab689073109d191bf7

I understand why the PMC has to do this...

Quite frankly it was only when I groked what it means to be a member of the
ASF that I got the fuller understanding of the role of the PMC that I have
now.

I think there are a lot of people in the community that do not understand
why the ASF does things the way it does.

Such people are prone to see the PMC being pernicious as "meddling" and
"getting in the way"... and may even see my -1 vote as "unfortunate". I was
just framing my actions so that they are not confused.

Aside: If a committer does not like that we (the PMC) have to be this way,
and does not think they could uphold the responsibility to conduct their
reviews diligently taking care of the legal responsibilities that the
ASF tasks the PMC with then I would recommend that such a committer reject
a nomination to the PMC if we were to offer it... in some ways being on the
PMC is a thankless job... but it is one that I agreed to do... so until I
get fed up, so be it!

-Stephen