maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <steph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Maven War plugin 2.4
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:12:10 GMT
On 5 July 2013 14:52, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 July 2013 14:43, Stephen Connolly <stephenc@apache.org> wrote:

> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=18840&styleName=Text&projectId=11150

> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-105

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-105/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-war-plugin/2.4/maven-war-plugin-2.4-source-release.zip

> >> There are about 40 test files without AL headers. At least some of
> >> them can and should have headers.
> >>

> > And as we already discussed we have put in place a process to track
> > conformance in this regard.
> >
> > We will be reporting the total of violations to the board and we will be
> > turning the screws to bring this total down.
> >
> > At this point I do not view "test data/resources" as blocking on a
> release.
>
> At what point will it be blocking?

After we get to zero

> > If you can point to a non-binary file outside of src/it,
> > src/test/resources, or other similar folders that is missing a license
> > header *and* that file was present in the previous release then I agree
> > that it should be addressed before release.
> >
> > Similarly, new plugins or maven release roots should be clean before
> their
> > first release.
> >
> > But in those cases where we have a legacy issue of missing license
> headers
> > in test resources, this PMC has put a process in place to address the
> issue
> > and until the board advises differently, test resources will be addressed
> > by that process
>
> So how many more releases will be needed before the WAR plugin is
> compliant?
>
> Seems to me that plugins generally have relatively few files that need
> to be addressed, and therefore they don't need to be exempt.

The process I agreed with Sam was that we would track and improve our
compliance. We did not specify a time frame as we are all volunteers here.

In my role as a member of the PMC I am not going to block releases because
of the legacy test resources issue, others on the PMC may feel differently
and they are entitled to their opinion if they so choose... no body on the
PMC has a "special" role in regard to deciding what is right for the
project. I have a veto over certain things by virtue of my position on the
PMC. I am simply stating that as a PMC member I will veto any releases
which I see containing missing headers on non-"legacy test resources". If
the missing headers are on a "legacy test resource" I am stating that I
will not attempt to block the release (I cannot veto it as you cannot veto
releases, but I will vote -1 and encourage the rest of the PMC to refrain
from voting +1)

I am working on changes to the Maven project's root pom to add in RAT
checks, but I want to be careful how it is done so as not to block releases

-Stephen