maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 12:54:02 GMT
Then just make the changes you see fit and I'll roll it again. It will only take a few minutes.
If we know what it should be like then we might as well just do it, as it's likely to take
less time than asking if an exception can be made.

I can cancel the vote. Make the changes you think are required for compliance and I'll cut
it again.

On Jul 4, 2013, at 6:05 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have asked the legal-discuss list for an opinion on test data sets and
> license headers. From my reading of the current ASF position:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions we do not
> currently have an exception for test data sets.
>
> Pending the outcome of that discussion I will have to be
>
> -1
>
> If the outcome is that we do not need to do anything for test data sets,
> then I would be happy to switch to +1.
>
> If the outcome is that we need to add some additional text to the NOTICE
> files to cover the test data sets, then we will need to respin as nobody on
> the PMC can vote +1 if we are aware that the release is in violation of the
> ASF policies and we would be neglecting our governance role.
>
> If the outcome is that we need to add the license headers to all the test
> data files, then I think the PMC will have to review what we want to do as
> adding license headers to every file in the test data set runs the risk of
> invalidating the test data and that is an unnecessary risk that would
> cripple the project and as such I would be looking for the ASF to change
> such a decision and provide us with a means of using the NOTICE file to
> cover the test data.
>
> I hate being petty, but unfortunately that is part of the governance role
> that the PMC is tasked with... :-(
>
> - Stephen
>

> On 1 July 2013 03:56, Barrie Treloar <baerrach@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 July 2013 06:52, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Another problem: the NOTICE file contains the following spurious text:

>>>   ==  NOTICE file corresponding to the section 4 d of
>> ==
>>>   ==  the Apache License, Version 2.0,
>>  ==
>>>   ==  in this case for the Apache Maven distribution.
>> ==

>>> This must not be present in NOTICE files, which are required to be as
>>> short as possible (but no shorter).
>>>
>>> ASF NOTICE files must start as per the following example:
>>>
>>> ====================
>>> Apache Maven
>>> Copyright 2001-2013 The Apache Software Foundation
>>>
>>> This product includes software developed at
>>> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>> ==================
>>>
>>> Note also that the phrase should be "developed at" not "developed by"
>>> - the distinction is important.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, the NOTICE file refers to additonal 3rd party software,
>>> but there don't appear to be any LICENSE files for the software.
>>> The licenses should either be in LICENSE.txt or linked therefrom.
>>
>> From what I can tell we have been failing this since August 2010.
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=blob;f=apache-maven/NOTICE.txt;hb=bfaf11090a212f8445f2ad929af8acce5a984bf0
>>
>> I can't find change history for
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html so I don't know if we
>> have been failing all the time, or since it was changed.

> [...]

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that
is,
the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

 -- John Kenneth Galbraith