maven-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Magnay <nigel.mag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0-alpha-1
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 08:47:21 GMT
This keeps coming up, over and over and over.

e.g:
http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Meta-information-about-dependencies-in-a-pom-td4971927.html

The maven 'answer' seems to amount to 'hard cheese, you must re-specify
each and every one of your dependencies again in your plugin config'. And
then pointing to the configuration horror that is the assembly plugin, and
completely ignoring the duplication of, like, every single dependency in
your use-case. And if your language has scopes other than the burnt-in ones
in maven, double-hard cheese with a cherry on top - welcome to screenfuls
of warnings and a non-working transitive dependency mechanism.

Despite the fact you're already paying the XML tax (so each dependency
takes 5 lines in your POM file, compared to single lines in other tools),
*and* the fact that XML has a well-defined capability with namespaces to
compatibly extend the data (and have those extensions easy to strip out),
maven refuses to contemplate this, it seems.

How about

            xmlns:karaf="maven:plugin:com.apache:karaf"

<dependency>
<groupId>com.example</groupId>
<artifactId>bundle</artifactId>
<version>1.0.1</version>
<karaf:osgiStartLevel>99</karaf:osgiStartLevel>
<karaf:bootInstall>true</karaf:bootInstall>
</dependency>

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com