maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 22:53:00 GMT

On 19/04/2013, at 4:29 AM, Anders Hammar <> wrote:

> Heck, we might even go v3.0 with this change and remove a lot of garbage
> that I've found in the code. And delete the create goal. :-)
> Maybe even require Maven 3.0+ to simplify the code. Or maybe that's taking
> this a little bit to far?

This should be fine, just bearing in mind that you need to be extra careful about <prerequisites>
so that Maven 2.2.1 users don't pull the latest and get a broken archetype system. A bad version
was released once and much confusion reigned.

You will need to maintain some level of compatibility with old archetypes, if it comes to
that too.

+1 overall, this particular thing has been quite annoying in the past, thanks for picking
it up!

- Brett

Brett Porter

To unsubscribe, e-mail: