maven-dev mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0-alpha-1
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 13:57:36 GMT
Hervé:

thank you for taking the time to respond.

issue at hand:

karaf
http://karaf.apache.org/

has features.xml, which are built from pom.xml
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/provisioning.html

what is missing from maven is the ability to communicate arbitrary
custom attributes
on per-dependency basis, such as:

provide osgiStartLevel value, to specify to osgi runtime bundle start level:
<dependency>
<groupId>com.example</groupId>
<artifactId>bundle</artifactId>
<version>1.0.1</version>
<osgiStartLevel>99</osgiStartLevel>
</dependency>

or provide karafBootInstall flag, to specify that karaf runtime should
install this dependency at boot-time vs build-time:
<dependency>
<groupId>com.example</groupId>
<artifactId>bundle-feature</artifactId>
<version>1.0.1</version>
<classifier>features</classifier>
<type>xml</type>
<karafBootInstall>true</karafBootInstall>
</dependency>

in lieu of these, karaf-maven-plugin is trying to encode this
information via <scope>
https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/trunk/tooling/karaf-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/karaf/tooling/features/InstallKarsMojo.java#L215

which contradicts the dependency resolution rules and really does not work.

hence my request to "relax". is there any other ways to address this need?

Andrei