maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>
Subject Re: The next major release of Maven: 4.0.0
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 00:29:40 GMT

On Mar 3, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I see it, you are using the version number to communicate with the
> tiny number of people who have made plugins that depend on Aether.

Any JSR330 discrepancies, SLF4J being used for logging and the Aether changes. 4.0.0 says
"we did our best to make everything work, but you may have issues."

> I would rather see us use the version number to communicate with the
> vast number of people who use Maven.

How do you see this as not communicating with everyone. JSR330, SLF4J, and Eclipse Aether
are not insignificant.

> So, I'd switch to Eclipse Aether, including the need to fork a few
> plugins, as 3.2, and use the number 4.0.0 for a version that has real
> user-visible impact and value.

I see JSR330, SLF4J and Eclipse Aether as valuable.

> If you presented a long list of wonderful user-visible improvements
> that would result from the adoption of the new Aether, I'd be happier
> with your proposal.

I have no long use of user-visible improvements because I'm the only one working on the core.
There's only so much I'm willing to do and I won't develop any features until I know they
will be used.

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A quick answer whilst I let my thoughts dwell on the full long post..
>>>
>>> If we're jumping to a major release here, is this a viable time to also update
the schema and address of the things we've long been wanting there? ( mixins of some form
) - or is this out of scope ( of this discussion at least ).

>> To me it's out of scope. I want to get the API changes out there and signal the potential
of major API breakages. Features can be rolled out whenever. To me the change in versions
is to signal API breakage, not feature addition.

>>> Mark

the isolation so I wanted to discuss what happens when we integrate Eclipse Aether and suggest
an alternate release path.