maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The next major release of Maven: 4.0.0
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 22:41:26 GMT
As I see it, you are using the version number to communicate with the
tiny number of people who have made plugins that depend on Aether.

I would rather see us use the version number to communicate with the
vast number of people who use Maven.

So, I'd switch to Eclipse Aether, including the need to fork a few
plugins, as 3.2, and use the number 4.0.0 for a version that has real
user-visible impact and value.

If you presented a long list of wonderful user-visible improvements
that would result from the adoption of the new Aether, I'd be happier
with your proposal.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> wrote:
>
>> A quick answer whilst I let my thoughts dwell on the full long post..
>>
>> If we're jumping to a major release here, is this a viable time to also update the
schema and address of the things we've long been wanting there? ( mixins of some form ) -
or is this out of scope ( of this discussion at least ).

> To me it's out of scope. I want to get the API changes out there and signal the potential
of major API breakages. Features can be rolled out whenever. To me the change in versions
is to signal API breakage, not feature addition.

>> Mark
>>

>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> No one seems to object to doing a release with the SLF4J support without the
isolation so I wanted to discuss what happens when we integrate Eclipse Aether and suggest
an alternate release path.