maven-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Testing [Vote] plugins?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 13:58:57 GMT
an other possibility is to download the source release zip and install
it locally.
I believe you want to test pmd.
So here: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-198/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-pmd-plugin/3.0/maven-pmd-plugin-3.0-source-release.zip

2013/2/5 Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>:
> I keep a second Maven install dir that has a settings.xml that does
> not point to my corporate MRM, but rather directly to the outside
> world.
>

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM, James Nord (jnord) <jnord@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.
>>
>> Rule #1 releases are golden.
>> However Apache plugin releases violate that rule[1][2].  If a vote fails the next
vote seems to be for exactly the same version of the plugin

>> I sit behind a corporate MRM - and as such we keep every single release we download
forever (as we need to make sure all builds are reproducible).
>> Changing this policy to test plugins up for a vote could end up with an un-reproducible
build (if a staged plugin is used).

>> Grabbing the plugin and installing to my local maven repo is likely doomed to failure
due to MNG-5181.

>> So given that releases are not always golden my question is what do people do in
order to test this with their software in a corporate environment?
>> (or to put it another way why are versions re-used if a vote fails, violating the
#1 maven rule)?

>> Regards,
>>
>> /James
>>
>> [1] http://dev.markmail.org/message/mto7fl4ngxht63ue?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Emaven%2Edev+canceled+vote