maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Testing [Vote] plugins?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 00:09:52 GMT
The issue here is that someone in our community might live in a world
where an MRM has interposed its body, in the words of  Lytton
Strachey, between themselves and all external repos. Such people had
better follow olamy's advice about downloading source and building it
themselves.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Barrie Treloar <baerrach@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 February 2013 21:26, James Nord (jnord) <jnord@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.
>>
>> Rule #1 releases are golden.
>> However Apache plugin releases violate that rule[1][2].  If a vote fails the next
vote seems to be for exactly the same version of the plugin

>> I sit behind a corporate MRM - and as such we keep every single release we download
forever (as we need to make sure all builds are reproducible).
>> Changing this policy to test plugins up for a vote could end up with an un-reproducible
build (if a staged plugin is used).

>> Grabbing the plugin and installing to my local maven repo is likely doomed to failure
due to MNG-5181.

>> So given that releases are not always golden my question is what do people do in
order to test this with their software in a corporate environment?