maven-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <>
Subject Re: Testing [Vote] plugins?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 00:04:26 GMT
On 5 February 2013 21:26, James Nord (jnord) <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.
> Rule #1 releases are golden.
> However Apache plugin releases violate that rule[1][2].  If a vote fails the next vote
seems to be for exactly the same version of the plugin
> I sit behind a corporate MRM - and as such we keep every single release we download forever
(as we need to make sure all builds are reproducible).
> Changing this policy to test plugins up for a vote could end up with an un-reproducible
build (if a staged plugin is used).
> Grabbing the plugin and installing to my local maven repo is likely doomed to failure
due to MNG-5181.
> So given that releases are not always golden my question is what do people do in order
to test this with their software in a corporate environment?
> (or to put it another way why are versions re-used if a vote fails, violating the #1
maven rule)?
> Regards,
> /James
> [1]
> [2]

If these are being released into Central - then they *will* never change.
They are Golden.

Prior to getting their, e.g. during the voting process, these jars are
released into a staging area.
You are invited to try those jars from the staging area to ensure they
dont have regression issues etc.
If you do this then you generally delete your local m2 cache
(~/.m2/repository) or you use a new settings.xml file that points to a
different location.
You would not normally use an MRM in this scenario as the staging jars
are not yet Golden.

If the release fail, then the staging areas are deleted and the
process starts again.  Nothing has happened to Central yet.
If the release passes, then staging is promoted into Central, its all
Golden and then never changes.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message