maven-dev mailing list archives

From "James Nord (jnord)" <jn...@cisco.com>
Subject Testing [Vote] plugins?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:56:20 GMT
Hi all,

I have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.

Rule #1 releases are golden.
However Apache plugin releases violate that rule[1][2].  If a vote fails the next vote seems
to be for exactly the same version of the plugin

I sit behind a corporate MRM - and as such we keep every single release we download forever
(as we need to make sure all builds are reproducible).
Changing this policy to test plugins up for a vote could end up with an un-reproducible build
(if a staged plugin is used).

Grabbing the plugin and installing to my local maven repo is likely doomed to failure due
to MNG-5181.

So given that releases are not always golden my question is what do people do in order to
test this with their software in a corporate environment?
(or to put it another way why are versions re-used if a vote fails, violating the #1 maven
rule)?

Regards,

/James

[1] http://dev.markmail.org/message/mto7fl4ngxht63ue?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Emaven%2Edev+canceled+vote