maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Surefire and low memory conditions
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 08:33:20 GMT
Hi. Just wanted to ping you because I remember we talked about
hardnuts for test runners (like surefire). I've been recently trying
to think of a way to shutdown the forked JVM cleanly on permgen/ OOM
conditions (and signal it back as such to the controlling process).
Seems to be quite hard because various JVMs appear to go crazy
themselves when running under low memory.

Anyway, out of curiousity I checked with surefire and it seems to hang
for me (Windows, 8 core cpu). The code is here.
https://github.com/dweiss/surefire-hardtests

The single-threaded version says the forked VM shut down without
saying good bye which seems like a fine resolution to me. This is
hardly a "bug" in surefire -- like I mentioned, running anything with
exhausted permgen or heap is very unpredictable in Java. Still, I'm
curious if you see any workarounds or solutions for the issue.

Dawid