maven-dev mailing list archives

From Gábor Guta <the.ga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there any on-going work to implement standard build promotion/staging mechanism?
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2013 09:18:18 GMT
Hi Hervé,

> can you explain the ant/ivy build pipeline implementing promotion you did with
> the help of my team mates?
Context: we have several modules which are built on top of each other.
The build pipeline:
- developer commits his/her changes to the SVN
- the Jenkins server checks out from SVN, compiles and runs the unit
tests; finally, the jar artifacts are created and published with
"integration" status
- a Jenkins job retrieves this artifact from an Ivy repository and
checks out secondary tests from the SVN; runs the secondary tests; if
all tests pass, the description of the artifact is re-published with
"milestone" status
- other jobs grab only the artifact if it has least "milestone" status
- on the end of the pipeline "milestone" artifacts can be promoted
manually to "release" if the manual tests are successful
- other loosely coupled projects reference only to artifacts with
"release" status

Promotion is handled completely by the apache-ivy. It allows you not
only to reference snapshot as maven do, but you can specify
"latest.integration" or "latest.release" as version. We use standard
Ivy statuses, but custom statuses can be defined too.

Regards, Gabor