maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Jörg Hohwiller" <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>
Subject Pain with MNG-5181 (_maven.repositories)
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:43:21 GMT
Dear maven developers,

first of all thanks for all your energy. Maven has become a great tool and now
even complex multi-module-projects can build their site perfectly what was a
very long way.

One thing that is really causing pain to me - and many others I talked to is
MNG-5181.

The concept of maven was that if an artifact is available in the local
repository it is directly available to dependency resolution without Internet
access.
Now I have a OSS artifact that was downloaded from central but via artifactory,
nexus or archiva by some tweak of the settings and I have to get it once again
if I use
central without a proxy what fails if I am offline.

IMHO this is more of a bug than a feature.
If we are talking about security one could follow KISS and just use different
local repositories through his settings if he cares.

It would at least be very helpful if there was a way to disable this feature by
a property (that could be provided in settings.xml).
I have seen many users that wrote scripts that remove all _maven.repositories
files or use sed to replace the repository name inside.
This is really strange...

Thanks & regards
  Jörg