maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Getting Maven component and plugin releases to /dist -- space
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:26:46 GMT
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Benson Margulies wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:26:18 +0100
> From: Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>
> To: Henk P. Penning <penning@uu.nl>
> Cc: Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>,
>     "infrastructure@apache.org" <infrastructure@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Getting Maven component and plugin releases to /dist -- space

Hi Benson,

   excellent.

   As far as I can see, everything can go directly into
   "archive.a.o/dist/maven/".

   The only point of having stuff in /dist/ is that projects
   can refer users/downloaders to that stuff on a mirror.
   Since there will be no such pointers to the stuff you want
   to add, there is no point in having it on the mirrors, and
   therefore in /dist/.

   Remember that /dist/ is only a cache for the 'recent' stuff
   in "archive.a.o". Nothing in /dist/ is there permanently.
   If you would only put 'your' stuff in archive.a.o, it would avoid
   the problem of cleaning up in "/dist/maven/{plugins,components)".

   Actually, I am opposed to the "automated" addition of stuff to
   /dist/, if the removal or that stuff isn't "automated" by the
   same mechanism too ; "cleanup" is as important as "adding stuff".

   [ privately I still wonder why this stuff has to be archive.a.o'ed ;
     if this stuff, why not everything else ; if not everything,
     why this stuff? If these artefact are special, why doesn't
     it suffice to just have a list of them somewhere?
   ]

   HPP