maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>
Subject Re: regression with finalName?
Date Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:43:08 GMT
I don't think it was intentional, i don't remember anyone specifically mentioning it and probably
is an inadvertent side affect of another change. I imagine if we went digging we would fine
more behavioural inconsistencies. This is the behaviour that's present now in 3.0 so I would
say it's probably best to leave it now as it is and document the behaviour as it is currently
in the field. Sound reasonable?

On Dec 9, 2012, at 11:04 AM, "Robert Scholte" <rfscholte@apache.org> wrote:

> I've tried it with Maven-3.0, and this version also let finalName to be inherited.
> In JIRA I can't find an issue related to the change of this behavior.
> The compatibility-notes for M3[1] doesn't mention it either.
>
> Robert
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-compatibility-notes.html
>

> Op Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:06:39 +0100 schreef Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io>:
>
>> Can you easily tell in which version of Maven the behaviour changed?
>>
>> I don't think inheriting this value is a bad per se, and if it's been like this in
all versions of Maven 3.x I think it's probably ok.  If the behaviour changed somewhere along
the path of 3.x then that's probably not great.

>> On Dec 9, 2012, at 7:32 AM, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> it looks like the behavior of the project.build.finalName has changed in a multimodule-project.
>>>
>>> With Maven-2.2.1 it is always ${project.artifactId}-${project.version} if you
don't specify it.
>>> In Maven-3.0.4 its value is inherited from the parent.
>>>
>>> I'd expect that the old behavior is the preferred one.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Robert

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
>> elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
>> and sit softly on your shoulder ...
>>
>> -- Thoreau

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt