maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:14:32 GMT
On 12/9/12 7:50 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I think it's time to stop patching SLF4J Simple. I have an inefficient fix for the embedding
problem, but we're likely to run into issues concurrency with parallel builds and who knows
what else. This will patch/change #5 and many hours of trying to get SLF4J Simple to work
but I think we're pushing the simple implementation beyond its scope. So I'd just like to
put in Logback and be done with it.

> There are at least three of us opposed to using a new logging framework, but I don't
think there is anyone against using Logback. I honestly don't think there is any rational
argument for not using Logback,

I guess m2e and related third-party projects are the things requiring
these "more evolved" logging options.

One rational argument against including logback is other third-party
projects that wish to embed Maven but which have licensing conflicts
with EPL. I had a conversation just the other day with the drools folks
over this WRT Aether, where its EPL license was a potential problem for
them. [1]

In considering third-party integration, doesn't it make sense to try to
stay clear of introducing licensing problems? Isn't that rational?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_Public_License (see the sidebar)

so after doing all the SLF4J work and making a best effort to use SLF4J
Simple I think it's pointless to pursue that path any longer and put in
Logback.

--
John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)