maven-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: apache/maven-3 at Github
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:28:39 GMT
But to make this more clear, we will only accept pull changes if they come along with an identical
JIRA with the diff. You also must make sure that you are the only one who has changed something
in the contribution. It's way to easy to fake author Ids on github...

The committer which applies the patch or signs off the pull request must make sure that all
IP is cleared.

Another reason for not having our cannonical repo on github - and even for having a cannonical
repo at all - is that we do not like the the 'fork creeping' which we've seen on github quite
often.

As example: There are quite some codehaus mojo projects which did move from codehaus svn to
github. Almost all of them are dead dead dead in the meantime :(

Now what happened? It was obviously very easy to fork those projects and to fix their own
problems. But most people didn't care about getting the bugfixes back to the 'main' git repo
nor even to get feedback from the community. If you look at a few of those old codehaus mojo
projects you will see that most of them have 25++ forks with changes (actually there are much
more forks _without_ changes). Together with Fred Cooke I tried to grasp an idea what went
wrong with the osxappbundle-maven-plugin. The result was that ALL of the forks on github are
broken! People only fixed _their_ issue but always broke other scenarios! There was no single
plugin which e.g. worked with OSX 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 (was before 1.8 came out). Serious folks,
thats Kindergarten and we don't like this in an ASF project!

LieGrue,
strub