maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Maven 3.1.0
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 22:45:44 GMT

On Nov 29, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 29 nov. 2012 19:09, "Jason van Zyl" <jason@tesla.io> a écrit :
>>
>> That's a good example. It's SLF4J and Logback in the wild which is what I expected.
Good find.
> Arffff easy and fast conclusion !

Based on empirical observation. Download counts for the last 12 months, and Sonar specifically
is verification. It expects Logback by way of unusual cast to ch.qos.logback.classic.Logger.

> The issue can happend with any other plugin using any other slf4j impl.
>
> My point is: we must first try to find a solution to not export core
> slf4j-impl to plugins.
> AFAIK users and/or mojo developpers are free to use slf4j-impl they want.
> We must not force them to use A impl whereas they prefer B or the last
> "à la mode" impl.

This is not the cause of this problem in this specific case. In the standard pattern of use
it is the host that decides the implementation. I consume a component that uses SLF4J and
I pick the implementation. In this case the host is Maven. I'm still not convinced allowing
something like Sonar to pick its implementation makes any sense. In this case they aren't
using the SLF4J API which is the source of the problem. They cast to an implementation making
a specific call to that implementation.

>> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5393
>>
>> On Nov 29, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> fyi I just raised http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-3983
>>> But we must have a look if we can fix that on our side as it's
>>> probably not the only case.

 :-(

>>> --
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt