maven-dev mailing list archives

From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Is it a bug? (install plugin deploys poms with variables in artifact.version and parent.version)
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:18:17 GMT
I know that property substitution in those places seems to be unavailable.

But there seems to be one case where it's seems to be explicitly allowed:
If the parent artifacts version is defined by the same variable used to reference the parent
pom, maven doesn't complain about anything (So I guess this case is explicitly allowed). The
artifacts are built, named and deployed at the absolutely correct place. If I define the version
of the parent without a property (or a property with a different name), maven doesn't resolve
the version and I get all sorts of errors, even if I set it to the same value. So I guess
there must be some sort of support for it?

Just have a look at the tiny project I attached to the issue. It builds just fine, except
for the fact that the poms deployed in the local maven repo.

Chris

Von: Stephen Connolly [stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Oktober 2012 16:32
An: Maven Developers List
Betreff: Re: Is it a bug? (install plugin deploys poms with variables in artifact.version
and parent.version)

On 15 October 2012 15:13, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <
christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just opened an issue regarding the install plugin (I think that's the
> module responsible).
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5358
>
> The general problem is that I am using variables for defining the versions
> of artifacts, dependencies and parent projects.

STOP!

Property substitution is not supported at the following XPath locations

/project/parent/groupId
/project/parent/artifactId
/project/parent/version
/project/groupId
/project/artifactId
/project/version
/project/packaging

If your issue is that Maven is failing to report
groupIds/artifactIds/versions at these XPath locations containing ${...}
characters as being invalid, then you have a valid bug. Otherwise you are
doing something wrong.

Note we are investigating at some point in the future allowing
/project/parent/version to be optional where the parent is available on
disk at the specified /project/parent/relativePath but that is not a
feature in Maven 3.0.x

-Stephen