maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SLF4J implementation [was Re: svn commit: r1380105 - in /maven/maven-3/trunk: ./ apache-maven/ maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/classrealm/ maven-embedder/ maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/]
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:03:33 GMT
I am completely +1 to introducing slf4j as the official API and
allowing plexus logging to slide, however slowly, into the sunset.
Everyone and his or her cat knows the SLF4J API. That, to me, is a
more than sufficient reason to supplement and eventually replace the
existing logging facade. That might not be a 'technical'
justification, but to me it's a very convincing justification.

I do understand the distinction between X-slf4j, sl4j-api, and
slf4j-X. What I'm fuzzy on is whether we're really arguing about
X-slf4j.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2012, at 12:38 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> sorry, didn't catch this reply earlier.
>>
>> I see, but then we are back to my original problem. Once you add e.g. log4j-slf4j
binding then you will get nasty class cast exceptions because they are not fully binary compatible.
If there is a log4j.jar in the classpath of the plugin already then it might even crash with
a weird Exception.

>> I've seen such problems in the wild.
>> This is nothing which slf4j does wrong - it's just not really possible to do it 100%
right.

>> We imo only have the option to choose between different kinds of 'broken'.
>>

> I wouldn't say broken, but call them integration issues that all APIs and frameworks
have. I've been using SLF4J for years with various implementation and have rarely run into
problems. SLF4J with its pervasiveness, support, documentation and implementations has the
fewest of these integration issues.

>> LieGrue,
>> strub

./ apache-maven/ maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/classrealm/ maven-embedder/ maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/]