maven-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Graham <chrisgw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scm, Surefire, Wagon migrate to git (please check) [was Plan for git migration]
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 01:29:49 GMT
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:
> > Isn't it a little bit of overkill to do a release for this? Why not
> > just simply replace that page on the site? Keep it simple...
>
> Well, I have always had mixed feelings about the fact that the doc for
> each component and plugin is so tightly tied to the release process.

It's not tied per-se. It calls the site process. Having the most update to
date release doco generated and published as part of the release process
makes good sense.

> The alternative is to checkout the tag, tweak the pom, and build and
> deploy the site.
>
> But this reminds me of another ancient peeve: the process of making
> the release tends to make the SCM page point at the release tag, not
> the trunk. I wish it were otherwise.

I could not disagree with you more.

The doco is generated by the release. The release is tagged. The links
point to the tag.

It is as it should be; it makes perfect sense.