maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scm, Surefire, Wagon migrate to git (please check) [was Plan for git migration]
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:33:26 GMT
You don't really "crash" anything, but if the tag is rewritten you
have to delete the local tag to actually get the updated reference to
the tag.

The authorative repo is correct, but there may be some clones out
there that are unaware of the failed release and the moved tag.

I still think the benefit of moving the tag > just tagging locally
(and hence missing tags).

Could we introduce something like subtagging ? If the official release
tag is "xyz_plugin_1.2.3", could we have the release plugin tag the
first version as "xyz_plugin_1.2.3_0" and just automatically advance
the tag for each re-release ? Then we *could* have some automated step
in the post-vote process burniung the final release number based on
highest available subtag (and delete the subtags) ?

I suppose a similar post-vote tool could also just push the local
release tag to the repo, so I may be complicating things.....?

Kristian

2012/9/20 Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de>:
> Hi folks!
>
> The problem is the rollback.
> In DeltaSpike we do _not_ push now. deleting a tag on one repo is not a problem, but
you would crash all downstream clones as re-trying a release is basically a history rewrite.

> In DeltaSpike I do the release locally and push the tag + release branch to my github
clone (or any other public repo you like).