maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scm, Surefire, Wagon migrate to git (please check) [was Plan for git migration]
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:58:22 GMT
On 21 September 2012 12:40, Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenvold@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > Are we d'accord that we must _not_ do releases on master but always
> create a temporary branch for each release (and then merge back to master
> after the vote passed) ?
>
> Now it's getting interesting:
>
> git clone git://git.apache.org/maven-surefire.git
> cd maven-surefire
> gitk --all &
>
> git clone https://github.com/sonatype/plexus-utils.git
> cd plexus-utils
> gitk --all &
>

> Hold the two gitk windows side by side;)
>
> Now the tags in surefire seem like the textbook way to do this,
> whereas plexus-utils has ugly tags. But is there any way to have
> release-plugin actually *make* tags like surefire has ? (these are
> from the asf git clone, so they have been created by some dark
> magics...)

I think this is a side-effect of the svn-git migration

the plexus ones are where the tag is created on the master branch

the surefire ones are where the tag is created from a separate branch (i.e.
the tag)

to have the history like this in git you would do something like

git commit -m "[maven-release-plugin] prepare release surefire-2.12.2"
git checkout -b temp
touch the git properties to refelect the new svn revision
git commit -m "[maven-release-plugin] copy tag for surefire-2.12.2"
git tag surefire-2.12.2
git checkout master
update poms
git commit -m "[maven-release-plugin] prepare for next development
iteration"

> Kristian
>

> > LieGrue,
> > strub