maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>
Subject Re: SLF4J implementation [was Re: svn commit: r1380105 - in /maven/maven-3/trunk: ./ apache-maven/ maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/classrealm/ maven-embedder/ maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/]
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 16:59:27 GMT

On Sep 9, 2012, at 12:38 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> sorry, didn't catch this reply earlier.
>
> I see, but then we are back to my original problem. Once you add e.g. log4j-slf4j binding
then you will get nasty class cast exceptions because they are not fully binary compatible.
If there is a log4j.jar in the classpath of the plugin already then it might even crash with
a weird Exception.

> I've seen such problems in the wild.
> This is nothing which slf4j does wrong - it's just not really possible to do it 100%
right.

> We imo only have the option to choose between different kinds of 'broken'.

I wouldn't say broken, but call them integration issues that all APIs and frameworks have.
I've been using SLF4J for years with various implementation and have rarely run into problems.
SLF4J with its pervasiveness, support, documentation and implementations has the fewest of
these integration issues.

> LieGrue,
> strub

./ apache-maven/ maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/classrealm/ maven-embedder/ maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/]

>> On Sep 9, 2012, at 4:17 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>>
>>> Can you again please explain me what the benefit of the SLF4J abstraction
>> over the already used plexus.Logger is? Both are just logging facades.
>>>

>> But really I think the biggest benefit is that, as far as I know, SLF4J
>> integrates with every known logging framework right now. In that it can coerce
>> JUL, and CL logging into a unified framework which I don't believe any of
>> the other frameworks do, or do as well. Maven is about integration and for
>> logging I believe it's the best solution that exists for the least effort.
>>
>> I think it's been adopted at Apache by so many projects specifically for
>> those reasons. Ceki is also a committer, and will help us fix anything when
>> necessary so that, again, we can focus on Maven and not logging.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition