maven-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snark on the users list
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:54:50 GMT
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Wayne Fay <waynefay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rev 1364633 is a small contribution to more stuff to link to.
>
> Also on the Windows pre-reqs page, it might be nice to say something
> about antivirus software sometimes preventing Java from running
> properly, or Windows Firewall (and various other Firewalls) actively
> preventing Java.exe from reaching out to the Internet to "download
> stuff" which is a key part of Maven -- so that users will know to add
> exceptions to grant such actions.

Done.

Also added to the 5 min guide:

Prerequisites

  You must have an understanding of how to install software on your computer.
  If you do not know how to do this, please ask someone at your
office, school, etc
  or pay someone to explain this to you. The Maven mailing lists are
not the best place to ask for this advice.

I have only committed this and not redeployed the web site so that
others can "adjust the tone" of the paragraph.  I was reluctant to
have a negative paragraph as the first thing to do in the 5 minutes
guide, especially one that says don't contact the mailing list with
these questions.

Improvements welcome.

p.s. I wonder if the people who are the audience for these changes
actually read these pages?