maven-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Fedorenko <i...@ifedorenko.com>
Subject Re: question about plugin-testing 2.0 release
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 03:12:39 GMT

On 12-05-20 11:45 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> I'm looking at code, improving easy to do things (like generics).
>
> I like MPLUGINTESTING-23: I suppose that's *the* big feature :)
> is it related to MPLUGINTESTING-7?

Right. I marked MPLUGINTESTING-7 as duplicate of MPLUGINTESTING-23.

> another question, I didn't find answer in FAQ:
> - why is it restricted to Maven 3? probably some explanations and site work
> for mvn2 and mvn3 branches are necessary

Yes, plexus-testing 2.0 only works with maven 3.0. I think it is
backwards compatible with 1.x, so plugins that used 1.x can switch to
2.0, but going other way around will not be possible for plugins that
use new plexus-testing methods introduced in 2.0.

> - I added a comment on m-invoker-p in r1340755: please review and improve if
> you have better explanations
>

> For the moment, I don't see more to say.
> The fact that this enhancement is only available to Maven 3 is really a
> limiting factor: we don't have much plugins with such a requirement. Any hope
> to backport?

I have not looked at maven 2.x sources for very long time now, but from
what I remember 2.x plugin manager did not provide a way to instantiate
and configure mojo instances without execution it. This was added in
later 3.0 betas, so it's probably not possible to backport it to maven
2.x without changes to 2.x core.

--
Regards,
Igor