maven-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT DIFF
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 06:18:48 GMT
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Chris Graham <chrisgwarp@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's wierdly worded.
>
> So, a fetch updates your local repo with that of a remote repo, but NOT
> your local working copy?
> And
> a pull does the merge as well, which is remote -> local > working copy?
>
> Terminology is rather important  here.
>
> I've also see the term staging area, which I assume is the local repo.
>
> Does git have a term for what  SVN calls a working copy?

See http://hginit.com/
It's mercurial rather than git, but the concepts are similar

I can't find the equivalent one for git, mustn't have book marked it.

Your working copy is your current directory.
With git (and mercurial) when you "fetch" from a remote repository you
get a complete duplicate in your local repository.
It is then your choice when you want to update your working copy with
the changes you just fetced.

But I'm still new to git...