maven-dev mailing list archives

From Chas Emerick <c...@cemerick.com>
Subject Re: Functional distinction between install and deploy operations
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:37:40 GMT

On Feb 23, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Chris Graham wrote:

> Remember that 'deploy' still calls 'install'.

Very true for `mvn`.  Not true in Aether; this would seem to be a userland tool convention,
and not a fundamental characteristic of the 'deploy' operation.

However, even Aether leaves some resolver-status and metadata files in the local repository
after completing a 'deploy'...although I can't determine the significance of them.

One thing I've discovered is that an installed SNAPSHOT will always take precedence over SNAPSHOTs
from remote repositories, whereas this is not the case for SNAPSHOTs that are deployed to
a local repository.  So, there's one significant difference at least.

It's unfortunate that the most fundamental things in Maven are essentially undocumented AFAICT:
what 'deploy' and 'install' do, the various contents (and potential contents) of repositories
in different contexts and their semantics, and so on.

- Chas