maven-dev mailing list archives

From Chas Emerick <c...@cemerick.com>
Subject Re: Functional distinction between install and deploy operations
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:44:42 GMT

On Feb 23, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Manfred Moser wrote:

> On 12-02-23 04:37 AM, Chas Emerick wrote:
>> On Feb 23, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Chris Graham wrote:
>>
>>> Remember that 'deploy' still calls 'install'.
>> Very true for `mvn`.  Not true in Aether; this would seem to be a userland tool convention,
and not a fundamental characteristic of the 'deploy' operation.

>> However, even Aether leaves some resolver-status and metadata files in the local
repository after completing a 'deploy'...although I can't determine the significance of them.

>> One thing I've discovered is that an installed SNAPSHOT will always take precedence
over SNAPSHOTs from remote repositories, whereas this is not the case for SNAPSHOTs that are
deployed to a local repository.  So, there's one significant difference at least.

>> It's unfortunate that the most fundamental things in Maven are essentially undocumented
AFAICT: what 'deploy' and 'install' do, the various contents (and potential contents) of repositories
in different contexts and their semantics, and so on.

> Very true. It would be great to get your findings documented. Btw I still think the best
thing to do is to do the same as Maven does .. just so you dont create slight differences
in behaviour. The potential debugging problems are way more of a time waste then just doing
the install like maven does even if that is a bit inefficient..

Heh, I'm not sure if my crude observation re: SNAPSHOTs counts as a "finding".

I can only manage to do the same as Maven thanks to my usage of Aether and liberal reading
of source.  If that's the best option available, it's surely not in the best interests of
the broader Maven community.  i.e. Now that I'm down this "low" in the stack, I can imagine
that many of the Maven-interoperability issues that ivy had/has (I've not been near it for
some years) are attributable to the lack of a usable specification of repository layouts,
operational semantics, etc.  So, when it "breaks", that's just a symptom of it not being implemementation-identical
to maven/aether.

I'm sure someone on this list knows where the bodies are buried.  A brain dump along with
a set of conformance tests would be immensely beneficial long-term.  That would at least provide
a basis for later improvements and migrations that third-party implementations could follow
along with sanely.

Cheers,

- Chas