maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@scalaris.com>
Subject M3 regression: Unreliable results, because reactor fails to calculate proper build order
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:57:32 GMT
Hello Maven devs,

although we use M3 now for quite some time, we finally had to recognize,
that the results are completely unreliable, because the reactor fails to
calculate the proper build order. I've created a test case in MNG-5207. It
happens when transitive dependencies are overwritten in the
dependencyManagement section with SNAPSHOTs that are part of the same
reactor build. In such a case the reactor of M3 fails to calculate the
proper order.

When the local repository is cleared and no SNAPSHOTs are available, the
reactor build simply fails at one point, because the required SNAPSHOTs are
not yet available. The situation gets worse when the project has been built
once, then our ZIPs, EARs and WARs may silently contain stale SNAPSHOT
versions and the result of the build is simply rubbish.

This behavior is an absolute show stopper for us and forced us to ban M3
completely from development, because we cannot afford unreliable results.
M221 has absolutely no problems in this regard, it calculates the proper
build order everytime. All tested M3 versions (3.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.3,
3.0.4) fail poorly. Demonstrated with MNG-5702, M221 succeeds, any M3
version fails.

Regards,
Jörg