maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ansgar Konermann <ansgar.konerm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: WARNING: Cannot use Maven 3.0.3 with Maven Release Plugin 2.2.2 (MNG-5224)
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:04:56 GMT
Am 03.01.2012 22:12, schrieb Benson Margulies:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> wrote:
>> Surely something as egregious as allowing releases to break should block
>> 3.0.4 from being released tho.  As someone who uses GPG in that manner for
>> some of his releases I'd certainly want 3.0.4 to be able to release...
>
> I disagree. There's no law requiring people to use 2.2.2 of the plugin.

Hi,

that's is an interesting point. No offense here, but what *is* the law
w.r.t a "Maven Release"? I'm not that deep into Apache and Maven
processes, but from what I could learn from public sources so far, I
believe this is not clear altogether, and it might help to discuss this
and make up our mind regarding such a "law" (i. e. release policy) to
have a guideline for the future.

Being a bit heretical: is it Maven's policy to release only Maven and
wish the user luck to find out which versions of the core plugins work
well with which version of Maven?

Or can the average user expect to be reasonably safe if using the latest
release of Maven with the latest release of any core plugin?

>From a user perspective, I perceive Maven as "the Maven application plus
its core plugins" - they are basically one system. Agreed, it has a
highly modular architecture, and a lot of these modules (= plugins) have
decoupled release cycles, nevertheless it's IMHO hard to sell to the
average user that the newest bugfix release of Maven with the newest
bugfix release of the release plugin has *more* bugs than the slightly
outdated one.

This leads to another question: shouldn't we have system tests which
make sure that common usage scenarios work with, say, the last N maven
releases? That is: should plugins run their ITs against multiple
versions of Maven? If so, how many versions should they go into the
past?  Or even better, shouldn't a *Maven* release trigger re-running
the ITs of the most recent release of all core plugins', using the new
Maven version? Add to this the fact that signing artifacts before
deployment using gpg is mandatory for sync to central, so this is one of
the more important use cases of the release plugin.

Would love to hear more opinions on this.

Best regards

Ansgar