maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploy maven site on SVN
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 01:21:00 GMT
How long does it take for subsequent generations of the site? Hopefully that is then incremental
- and if that works, we should be able to do the same with a commit as part of the site generation.

The Any23 site is 51M - most of which is generated by Javadoc and XRef. I don't see how Maven
can do anything to improve that situation, other than perhaps optimising the JXR HTML. Previously,
we'd upload 8M every time (51M zipped). With SVN, you should be uploading quite a bit first
time, and then just a few 100K after that.

However, we're still not in a good enough place with the available wagons. I tried building
a relatively simple multi-module site, and had the following issues:
- wagon-scm failed trying to commit a revision that already existed (I think trying to add
something that was already there due to checking out with -N)
- wagon-svn failed both due to an old svnkit (had to use an old repository format to workaround),
and then due to the latest site plugin's path construction
- maven-svn-wagon worked, but checked in every file each time - even when only one was changed
- causing a decent bandwidth cost

So we still have work to do. I think the best approach might be to have a different deployment
mode for SCM URLs - instead of using wagon, use the SCM API and use a "stage" approach where
there is a persistent checkout you can update/pull, make modifications, then commit (+push)
- then focus on files that change unnecessarily.

WDYT?

- Brett

On 20/01/2012, at 8:47 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Hi all guys,
>
> just to let you know that today I moved the Apache Any23[1] site
> deploying to local FS directory and then manual commit.
> It took *more than two hours*, with the good business ADSL upload band
> at office ... :(
>
> Whatever solution we can adopt to deploy the site on svn, it takes too
> much time :(
>
> -Simo
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/any23/site/

> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 18/01/2012, at 7:59 PM, Arnaud Héritier wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps if the SCM was GIT instead of SVN it could be faster ?
>>> It's not a short term solution but it can be another reason to use Git ASAP.
>>>

>> I think you misinterpreted a typo in Simone's email - it's the CMS, not the SCM.
>>
>> This isn't related to the SCM used by the project - infra are using svnpubsub to
publish sites (which takes effect almost immediately, in comparison to the slow rsync process
that we used to wait for).